Friday, May 5, 2017

Boarding School Showdown

When I was touring the highlands with Mrs. Rutledge, Paul, and Evan, we fell a few times on the topic of comparing American and British boarding schools. Both Evan and I are ESU scholars that attended Culver Academies for four years, so we definitely had much to say about the subject. I remember Paul asking Evan and me, "if you had to choose, then, which would you say is better? If you had to pick one?"

It's a reasonable question to ask. One of the main reasons for a secondary school change, after all, is to develop the ability to compare international school systems. However, both Evan and I had difficulties directly answering the question. Paul's inquiries were admittedly answered with a lot of well's, um's and sort of's. We didn't want to respond with a cliché "they're both good in their own way," but that seemed the most accurate way to put it. As always, the answer is much more complicated than it seems.

So, which one is better: Culver or Dollar?  It's impossible for me to say that I hated one or loved the other, because boarding encompasses an immeasurable number of aspects in one's life. I've constructed a list of seven of these aspects to make the question a bit easier: academics, extra-curricular activities, boarding life, location, school spirit, freedom, and personal development. It's far from a comprehensive list, but it's a good enough start. I can't speak of Evan's experience with his own boarding school, nor can I speak on behalf of all British boarding schools (or American ones, for that matter); this is simply what I've personally observed in each administration. So, don't take it too seriously!

Category 1: Academics

This is obviously an important one, especially for me. It was one of my top priorities at Culver, not to mention the reason I applied for ESU. Culver's curriculum was undoubtedly more rigorous than Dollar's, as I have mentioned in previous posts: my homework time halved upon my arrival at Dollar.
Although I had next to no free time at Culver, I feel as though my hard work was setting a strong, firm basis for a successful life. In addition, it's where I developed my passion and curiosity for many of my interests: politics, French, and writing. Perhaps it is because I enrolled in less challenging courses at Dollar, or because I am older now, but the majority of what I learned here was not in the classroom. It was in the boarding house, or travelling outside the country, or in the books I read outside of class. Many courses are lecture-based anyway, and are therefore a bit less engaging compared to Culver's competitive Harkness discussions.

Winner: Culver

Category 2: Extra-curricular Activities

I must mention that I always considered sports at Culver were extremely intense, almost too much so: most of them would hold practice two hours a day, for five days a week, some expecting additional weekend (or even weekday) workouts. Sure, that's great if you want to become a professional athlete, but not for a nice after-school activity. Culver's clubs had the opposite problem: the Human Rights Club, for example, met rarely and was generally underfunded. With Dollar's sports and clubs, I can participate in multiple activities without worrying that I am "betraying" another: there's time for everything. I went to orchestra on Mondays, ran on Tuesdays, Choir on Wednesdays, Yoga or Amnesty International on Thursdays, and Friday to relax. It wasn't the end of the world if I was too tired or too caught-up to go one week, and it is almost unheard of to be kicked off a team. The flexibility worked well with my schedule, and I enjoyed the ability to try so many new activities.

Winner: Dollar

Category 3: Boarding life

Dollar and Culver share few similarities in boarding life; it is difficult to compare them. Linden housed close to fifty girls, while Heyworth has about fifteen. Roommates are a necessity at Culver, while in my House the majority of rooms are currently single. CGA featured dorm moms and counselors, while Dollar has house families. If I had to make a choice, though, I would have to lean towards Heyworth. A small house and a single room allow for quiet study time and more privacy, which are both rarities in a dorm hall. At 8 PM on the dot, we are all downstairs, enjoying a snack and each other's company. We are more like sisters than housemates, a relationship difficult to achieve with dozens of girls. And then there are the tiny-but-not-insignificant perks: Heyworth is a close walk to the dining hall, it has cats, and the house ladies wash and fold our laundry every day. Oh, and we don't have a stealing problem like we did in Linden sometimes, which is always nice.

Winner: Dollar

Category 4: Location

I thought I had this one all figured out. For the first few months, I kept thinking, "how am I going to go back to boring old Northern Indiana after spending almost a year at the foot of some of the most beautiful hills in Scotland?" But then I remember Culver's beautiful 1300-acre campus on the legendary shores of Lake Max, and remember that some would give an arm and a leg to live where I lived for 18 years. It's where General Lew Wallace wrote the famous chariot race chapter in his book Ben-Hur, calling it "the most beautiful place in the world," and it's where Kurt Vonnegut spent much of his life. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the change of scenery, and I will undoubtedly miss the opportunity to go on a hike--or even climb a mountain--at my leisure. Spending ten months away from Culver, however, really has led me to realize that there is no place like home.

Winner: Tie

Category 5: School Spirit

I will always hold a special place in my heart for the Culver Academies: it's a unique, wonderful place full of unique, wonderful people. It's easy to take the Friday night football games, the Thursday Retreats and the Sunday Parades, the drill teams, the Black Horse Troop, Officer's Figure, even the uniforms for granted. I still feel the pain of sentimentality when I remember my own graduation, with all of us in our white dresses or uniforms ready to throw our bouquets/hats into the air. Dollar has its moments of pride, of course, especially with its world-class pipe band and remarkable rugby team. But there's no equivalent to hearing "The Eagle Rumble" at a basketball tournament, or the, well, thrilling "thrill" of the Culver Song booming from a crowd with the ultimate amount of enthusiasm. I think it's because the majority of pupils here are not boarders, so Dollar is "just a school" for many. But Culver is a lifestyle, there's no doubt about it.

Winner: Culver

Category 6: Freedom and Independence

Sorry, Culver, but this one is obvious. At Dollar, I can go to town whenever I want. I can change out of uniform after school, and I don't have to wear it to the dining hall for dinner. On the weekends, I can jump on a bus to Glasgow or Edinburgh for the day. I don't have to prepare for Sunday inspection, and I don't get an infraction for having my top button unbuttoned. I don't have to worry about being expelled if I drink alcohol (which I would never ever do); instead, the boarding house trusts us and teaches us how to drink responsibly. This year, I've appreciated the trust that the school has given me and have used it wisely. That said, however, Dollar is quite strict on its no-jewelry-little-makeup policy, which can get a little annoying. I guess no place is perfect...

Winner: Dollar

Category 7: Personal Development

I end with a category that I consider the most important, even more than academics. I feel as though Culver instilled in me its values over my four years the most, and I owe my diligent work ethic to it.
Despite its tediousness, all that leadership paperwork and training did pay off in the end. CGA's leadership system can be almost as rigorous as its academics, but I learned countless invaluable skills in all the workshops and council positions: how to cooperate, compromise, and overcome challenges. If it weren't for the emphasis on personal reflection, I would not be writing this blog.
It's not as though Dollar did not help me personally develop, but I do miss the effort that Culver made to help its students from Dr. Boys' talks on gratitude to Mentor-Mentee Time.

Winner: Culver

Sorry if you were expecting a direct, concrete "___ is the best school," but you're not going to get it. The truth is, I hold both schools dearly close to my heart. I'm proud to wear the CGA crest as much as the Dollar coat of arms; similarly, the Ochil Hills and Lake Max have equal value to me.And in the years to come, in Indiana University and beyond, I'll look fondly on each school-- the good and the bad-- and the memories I created at both of them.

1 comment:

  1. Well said on many notes. Will you be working at Woodcraft this summer?

    ReplyDelete