Monday, May 15, 2017

"...Oh:" A Detailed Illustration of Arielle's Many Misconceptions

Well, the countdown is on: 21 days now to enjoy the beauty of Scotland. My next posts will likely be of the more reflective nature, so I can fully assess the completion of my goals that I set for my exchange year. I'll try and throw in some pictures taken this year, too, just for a more visual experience. This post's topic: being proven wrong. A lesson in humility, if there ever was one.

There's a famous legend in our family that sets a precedent for my built-in blondeness. One time, when I was about 7 or 8, I heard my father using one of his favorite phrases at the dinner table: that "the whole famn damily" was going to do something together. I look up at him, proud of the chance to finally correct him about something for once-- and I say, "No daddy, you mean... Oh." Let's just say that it's not uncommon for me to think something, totally confident about it, and then realize my mistake later (sometimes mid-sentence). It's just part of my natural blondeness, I guess. Even today, when I have a misconception that usually ends in an "...oh," my family will repeat the story and laugh.

This year is no different. I began my adventure with some innocent and not-so-innocent preconceived notions about myself, my new home, and the world around me. It's strange to think that I might not have ever have realized these flaws if I had not taken an exchange year, which is why I'm so glad that I did. As usual, I have reflected on some of my more recent realizations, and have compiled them in a list of no particular order for your enjoyment. Enjoy the pictures, too-- I hope they illustrate the productiveness of study leave accurately.
Kary and I together for the last time in Scotland, dodging the rain on a hike through the Ochil Hills.
1. I'm sheepish to admit it now, but one of the misconceptions I had about British people is that they put milk into every type of tea. It was only when Mr. Duncan looked at me strangely for pouring milk into my peppermint tea at the beginning of the year when I learned that it was just black tea that was supposed to be all nice and creamy. I also learned that there's a specific art about making said cup of tea, and this usually varies from person to person. The ratio of water to milk in the cup, the heat of the water, even the way you take out the tea bag are only a few of the variables that go into making the perfect drink. Who knew it would be so complicated? Definitely not me at the beginning of the year.

2. A more serious yet unexpected misconception I discovered, one I only realized about halfway through the year, was that I found myself valuing and trusting American sources and information  more than those of other countries. Allow myself to illustrate with an example: given the choice in Modern Studies of citing either the British Medical Association or the US Department of Health and Human Services, I would always choose the latter. And this choice was for studying health inequalities... in the UK. I also find myself leaning towards American books, TV shows, even clothes brands. Is this my own manifestation of the "America is the best" mentality? That even though I am thousands of miles away from my homeland, I am willing to go to greater lengths to keep ties with it?
I've partially overcome this fallacy by enjoying some solely British media, such as QI (Quite Interesting), a quiz show which might just be my favorite way to relax now. Realizing the value in what other countries can offer has been a perspective-widening experience for me, and I hope to continue using this skill in the future.

April showers bring may flowers!
3. We all know of the legendary food, Haggis-- a compilation of oats, sheep's insides, and who knows what else, served with a nice side of "neeps and tatties" (turnips and potatoes). I thought this was a normal weeknight meal, but as usual, I was mistaken. Haggis is eaten a few times a year at most for the majority of the population, and from what I have experienced, it's not actually that popular of a choice anyway. What a surprise, right?

4. Other people just do not see the world the way I do, and they didn't grow up in the same situation as me-- and vice versa. A few weeks ago, I was shocked at the fact that Hamish had no idea what "Veggietales" was (it was pretty funny to see his face after hearing of a 90's show with singing Vegetables teaching kids about Christianity). Then again, I was clueless about the TV show "Peppa Pig" until this year as well. This goes for more somber examples, too, like how I grew up in a country where firearms are legal and most people here haven't. When someone told me that they were scared to travel for the US for this very reason, I scoffed at first. That's ridiculous, I said-- you're not going to get shot at the airport, or any place for that matter. Upon further reflection, however, it made more sense to me. If you know America allows lethal weapons, and hear on the news that almost everyone has one, why would you not be scared? They simply live in a society with polar views about the issue to America, so that's all they know. So, I've stopped saying, "What? You haven't seen/heard of/done that?"  and have accepted others' lives as an entirely different experience. And that's definitely not a bad thing.

Hamish being a nerd at the Glasgow Science Centre.
5. One of the most divisive issues currently in the UK is that of Scotland's independence (and Brexit, for that matter); experiencing the conflict here has allowed me to understand and empathize with each viewpoint in a way I would never have been able to otherwise. Before, I had partially envisioned Scotland as the poor, enslaved land under the cruel, tyrannic rule of Westminster: who would ever want to turn down the chance of sovereignty? The truth is, many Scots would jump at the chance. But there are also those who consider the benefits of staying with England-- like security benefits and tax deductions-- more valuable than complete freedom in decision-making. To me, both are valid viewpoints, and the same can be applied to Brexit. No issue is as simple as it seems, so no decision will be the "no-brainer" one. It's funny, but I find that in general with studying politics: the more I learn, the more I am indecisive about my own views. More precisely, the more I realize that I don't even know what I don't know.

6. I thought I would see a lot more men wearing kilts this year. But the truth is, I've really only seen them worn A. for tourism purposes in Edinburgh, B. for sacred occasions at school, and even then only some pupils and C. on a rare, super traditional/nationalistic old man. When they do wear them, however, I appreciate the unashamed way that Scotland's customs are shown. I can see most American males I know being way too self-conscious to rock the tartan, even if it was considered as "traditional," and it's always nice to see some national pride. And another thing about kilts: I never knew that they were so expensive. Like, worth a couple return flights to Greece expensive. I promised some people a kilt upon my return, which was a big mistake on my part. Sorry, Major Brandt-- a picture's going to have to do this time...

Lots and lots of lavender..
That's all I can think of for now-- a short list, but an efficient one. The weather has been perfect and sunny for this study leave (another misconception about Scotland?); we have been cherishing the chance to explore the outdoors in between revision sessions. With only three weekends left, I really have to prioritize what I do with my time here. But hey, at least I don't waste that time drinking peppermint tea with milk anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Knowing just how expensive a dress kilt is I understand. I will happily settle for pictures and a story or two at lunch.

    ReplyDelete