Saturday, May 27, 2017

An Attitude of Gratitude

WARNING: extremely cheesy blog post ahead. Proceed with caution. Beware of nostalgia, cliches and a few tears.

11 days, 4 house meetings, 1 exam, and 1 weekend left. That's it, and that's all. I feel as though I've been here so much longer; it doesn't feel like just 10 months at all. But that's all it was. Still, there are so many people to whom I am indebted because of my many adventures in Europe. It's amazing how much I was able to accomplish in so little time, and I couldn't have done so alone. So, it's time to show these people some deserved appreciation one last time. This is not an exhaustive list, since there are so many wonderful individuals who have made me the person I am today, and who have equipped me with the skills to succeed. But I assure you, I am eternally grateful to every single person who has done so.

Thank you, Mom and Dad. You've been so, so, so supportive and forgiving and trusting-- I couldn't have asked for more. It is because of you both that I was able to take a gap year in Scotland (which I still can't believe I did!!), and visit, like, seven other countries. I was able to see my wildest dreams come true, from complete recovery to having a picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower, while knowing that you were at home cheering me on and making sure I was safe. It's been hard to not contact you as much as I would have liked, or being constrained to short calls and emails. Let's just say I'm very much looking forward to seeing you both in person.

Thank you, Elise, Nicole, and Alex. It hasn't been easy to go so long without you. I can't wait to come home and see how much you've all changed. You have no idea how much I've missed marathoning House M.D., going to the Culver gym, playing crap-your-pants hide and seek, riding bikes to the library, all those things that siblings do. You guys all mean so much to me, and I couldn't have asked for better siblings. Thank you for being patient, kind, and supportive. Counting down the days until I see you-- and you bet that I'll be bringing back tons of weird Scottish food for you to try!

Thank you, Culver friends, for being by my side no matter how many miles away. It was so great to see you all blaze your way through your first year of college, changing the world with your charm and ambition. Clare, Anne, Suraag, Kary, Morgan, Katie, G, Reina, and all the others, you are wonderful, powerful people who can and will change the world. I am proud to call you my friends.

Thank you, Dollar friends: Becca, Amy, Alek, James, Alisha, Silas, Nathan, Ali, Anja, and everyone else. Y'all Tip Top Hats were so gracious to take me in under your wing, and I have learned so much from each and every one of you. Whether just going to the Co-op together, hanging in Alisha's hot tub, or dressing up in full-out Dia de los Muertos costume on a school day, I enjoyed each and every minute with you. This is not the end for us: we will meet again someday, and I know that you all will exceed expectations wherever you end up.

Thank you, Dollar teachers. Mrs. Young, Mr. McConnell, Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Fitzpatrick, and Ms. Sharp, you have been especially supportive and understanding to me throughout the school year. Thanks to you, I have met all of my academic goals on my exchange year, plus much more. I was so blessed to have teachers that cared about me, and truly wanted me to succeed.

Thank you, Heyworth girls, Mr. Duncan, Mr. Duncan, Liz, Julie, Eileen, and the rest of the Heyworth House Crew. Most of my favorite moments this year took place in the boarding house: Heyworth is a kind, welcoming, homely environment because of all of you. It was so nice to know that no matter what, I will be welcomed with a smile and a nice conversation at the end of the day. You made me feel comfortable and safe, and all of your hard work does not go unnoticed. I'll miss every single one of my sisters.

Thank you, breakfast gang: Anja, Eline, and Helen. Starting off every day with you has been such a pleasure, and I hope someday you will realize how much it means to me. You made me feel welcome in the boarding house, like I belonged somewhere. I'll miss playing Uno, pictures of Fish Boy, fawning over fluffy cows, and mourning the cleaning of the yogurt door with you all. Your intelligence, humor, and thoughtfulness will take you far. We'll definitely have to plan a reunion sometime in the future!

Thank you, Hamish. I keep wondering how I'll get through next year without our top-notch memes, movie nights, and deep political conversations. Going with you to Italy during Christmas break is something that I will remember for the rest of my life, and I hope that you agree. Thank you for dancing with me at the Christmas ceilidhs, being an excellent listener, and an open-minded friend. Also, you're coming back inside my suitcase to Indiana. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Thank you, Kary. I hope one day you will realize your immense value to me, how glad I was that you were only an hour away from me this whole time. Seeing your face, even just once in a while, was enough to make feel better. I really enjoyed all the times crashing your dorm in St. Andrews, meeting your friends, seeing your play, and showing you around Dollar. And going to Paris with you-- one of the best decisions I've ever made, no joke! I'm so glad you have been there for me, and I hope I've done the same.

Thank you, Rattray family. Your hospitality has been greatly appreciated, and just knowing that I had trustworthy guardians five minutes away was a blessing. I should have shown more gratitude throughout the year, and for that I'm sorry. Please keep in touch in the future-- I know that Emma and Peter will do great in their years at university! I hope we meet again sometime.

And lastly, thanks to all those who have supported me by reading my blog, praying for me, and keeping engaged in my adventures. I haven't forgotten any of you. Of course, I'll be making a lot of thank you cards in the next few weeks, but I thought it was appropriate to make a list of those who really made the year worthwhile. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this was the best decision I've ever made, even if it was challenging. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 comment: