Sunday, April 30, 2017

Arielle's Travel Tips!

When I was younger, I used to commiserate with the pitiful George Bailey from the movie It's a Wonderful Life: trapped in a small rural town, yet with an insatiable desire to see the world, except Bedford Falls was actually Culver and I'm not deaf in one ear. Even though Georgie is still one of my favorite fictional characters, I can't really compare myself with him anymore since I've been to the UK, France, Italy, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and the Czech Republic (I'm counting flight stopovers, just because I can).

A lot of my time overseas has been traveling over breaks, so I've decided to make a compilation of advice I've picked up on my adventures. Most of these tips will be particularly useful for young frugal travelers who prefer seeing cities, with the obvious reason being that I was one, but others will apply to anyone who wishes to see more of the world. Enjoy!

1 Scarves are my go-to garment while travelling because they are just so versatile. I have a nice oversized one that has served as a pillow, a blanket, an extra layer, a bag for dirty laundry, you name it. Mini towels are also nice to have on hand, if you have room, so you don't have to rent one.

2. If you're travelling on a budget and are using a hostel, just make sure that it has hot water. And heating. No need to elaborate on this too much.

3. Traveling alone is an incredibly rewarding and relaxing experience, but it takes some getting used to. I find travelling with someone more stressful, actually, because I'm always afraid that said person is not enjoying themselves. In Europe, it's incredibly safe to make a journey on your own, with most other big cities being acceptable too. Just make sure that you communicate often so that someone knows where you are, just in case. You don't want a worried parent frantically calling your hostel because you forgot to keep in touch for one too many days (sorry, Mom).

4. Take less of your clothes on long journeys, so you can wash them when you need a break from sightseeing. It's not that expensive, but even better, it saves room for souvenirs or shopping you may want to bring home. A warning about souvenirs, though, in tip #7.

5. Go grocery shopping to save money on food. It doesn't have to be boring or conventional things either-- this is the time to experiment with the recipes you've always wanted to try! I do, however, have some go-to ingredients that are especially travel-friendly. Look for longer-lasting, easy-to-transport foods such as apples, tortillas for wraps, carrots, mushrooms, chickpeas, pesto, hard-boiled eggs, and pasta. Cheese tends to go with pretty much everything, too, so I always have some on hand if I have access to a refrigerator.

6. McDonalds and Starbucks almost always have free WiFi. So, instead of buying an expensive SIM card for overseas communication, as suggested in tip #3. just enjoy a WhatsApp call with a morning latte. Great way to start the day!

7. Buy less souvenirs and more experiences: a snowglobe is nice, but a trip to a national museum will be much more memorable. If you really want something tangible to bring back home, boarding passes and tickets work just fine. On the same subject, pictures are invaluable: take as many as you can. You can always delete the ones you don't want later, but the feeling of regret for not capturing a special moment is the absolute worst.

8. It sounds silly, but bring a first aid kit with you on your travels. You don't want to be stuck without it, even if chances are you won't, and it doesn't take up that much space anyway. On my last day in Prague, I sliced my finger open with a butter knife cutting open a roll, and it was the one trip that I didn't bother taking any band-aids or antibacterial cream. It's also nice to have some aspirin, cough medicine, and peppermint oil (it helps with stomach problems, headaches, and pretty much every other ailment!).

9. If you ever find yourself in a significant city (at least in Europe), Sandeman tours are THE ABSOLUTE BEST. They're free tours that usually last around three hours, and they are incredibly entertaining. All of my tour guides have been absolutely wonderful, and it's where I've gained the most information about the location I'm visiting. I've been to ones in London, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, and Prague. It's an excellent way to become acclimated to a city and see all the major sites, so I like to do one on the first or second day.

10. Don't take any risks with pick-pocketing. Thankfully, it's never happened to me, but people have attempted-- got into a scary situation at the Basilique de Sacre Coeur one time. I always wear a vest with numerous inside pockets, which makes my passport/visa/cash/cards/phone/etc much safer than they otherwise would be. I would suggest the same for any other traveler, especially in a crowded city.

11.  Walk as much as you can, because you will enjoy the city much more than you would on a subway. Hamish and I found the most interesting sites in Rome while just wandering around the city, and it really minimizes your transport money too.

12. Bring something that will help you relax, because travelling can actually be quite stressful. I keep a journal to calm any racing thoughts, as well as to document my activities, and it really does help. If knitting, reading, crossword puzzles, or music helps you enjoy yourself more, then it earns a place in your suitcase.

13. If you're visiting a particularly popular monument or museum, booking online is the best option. Not only is it often cheaper, but it saves you from standing in line for hours. Trisha and I didn't have to wait at all for the Rijksmuseum or the Van Gogh museum-- we just waltzed in with our tickets! It's especially useful during winter months where you don't want to be in the cold for hours.

14. Plan, plan, plan (continuation of tip #13?). It's key to having a really good travel experience. While it might be tempting to say, "I'll just play it as it goes" (especially with hostel-hopping), There is almost always an event or setback that you will not expect. In order to make sure that I will have a place to stay for every night, I make my plans weeks in advance-- and accommodation rates are way lower this way too.

And that's all I can think of, for now at least. I'm sure I'll wake up sometime in the middle of the night within the next few days and say, "gosh darn it, I should have mentioned that," but so be it. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to share this information from my own experience, even though I had to learn some of them the hard way. That's part of the experience, I guess, and I'm looking forward to many more in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful list for travel! Another small add to your first aid kit. Ginger candy. Does wonders for motion sickness and similar tummy issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And hey, I was just being a mom :P I agree about traveling alone; my only frustration is that I always want to talk about it with someone.

    ReplyDelete