Monday, January 16, 2017

A New Year, A New Reflection

Prelims have finally started, much to the despair of Dollar pupils. The unusually mild weather makes it difficult to sit and study terrorism or quadratic equations for hours on end, but unfortunately, it must be done. To distract myself from too much boredom, I've decided to do another short reflection on how this year is going. As usual, I'll start with the positive.

For the first time, I feel confident that I have friends who genuinely love, value, and care about me. After all the holiday events such as the Form V and VI Ceilidh, Heyworth's holiday dinner, and my adventures in Italy with Hamish, I'm so glad that I can look back and remember not anxiety, not isolation, but a feeling of welcoming. For those of you who know me well, you'll know that that's quite a significant change. Even yesterday, on Heyworth's outing to Edinburgh's best Escape Room, I had to stop and smile (in the midst of the commotion, stress and excitement) that I was surrounded by intelligent, friendly, and kind girls. And I felt like I was finally one of them. There really is no better feeling.

Additionally,  I feel proud to have fully participated in the culture and traditions of Scotland itself. After all, I am on a cultural exchange. It's more than just the food, or the Highland dancing, or even the posh school uniform. It's also getting used to hearing the words "cheers" or "hiya" (and even throwing one in my vocabulary when I'm feeling extra brave), or simply taking advantage of the wonderful scenery around me. While it was difficult at first to accept the more relaxed structure of schoolwork within the first few months, I have learned to appreciate free time as normal Europeans do, instead of constantly worrying about the next thing on my plate. Early next February is the Robert Burns Supper, a traditional event featuring the national poet's works, music, and traditional Scottish food (Haggis, anyone?), which will be yet another opportunity to immerse myself in the nation's values.

Extracurricular activities are still going well, even though the numbers of Mixed Voice Choir and Orchestra have all but decimated after the Usher Hall Concert. Many organizations and clubs are suspended right now due to exams, but will be back again by the end of the month. I hope to be more involved in Amnesty International than I was last term, since we were only able to hold two official events in the little time we had. I'd also like to participate more in Dollar TED talks club this time by actually making a presentation, instead of simply watching.

As the FAFSA, enrollment fees, and housing applications for college are looming ahead, I have become increasingly aware of my plans for next year. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly excited and proud to be a part of the Cream and Crimson community at IU (go Hoosiers!), but I do feel some pressure already to perform well in higher education. Have I picked the right major? Are my academic skills adequate? Will I be able to work? Despite the beginning of the school year being eight months away, I still feel as though I need to be at the top of my game when the time to enter college comes.

Therefore, I have set a goal to improve my overall level of writing. I already write articles for the Galley (the school newspaper), Fortunas (the Parents' magazine), and, of course, this blog. But if I want to study subjects heavy in essays, or possibly a minor in Journalism, I'd like to become the best writer I can be to achieve my goals both here and at "uni" (as we call it over here). To challenge myself especially, I'd like to branch out and write articles I normally wouldn't attempt: maybe a review piece in the Galley, or a news report, instead of my usual political editorial or historical feature.

Overall, I'm still content with all I have accomplished so far, and I feel as though I'm making the most of my time in the UK. I also know that I will continue to do so until the end of the year. I am increasingly looking forward to future experiences such as the Spring Music Concert, Spring Break, and the end-of-year programs held for Form VI pupils at the end of the year (all while enjoying my time in the present, of course). But for now, back to the books... but perhaps after I watch the newest Sherlock episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment