Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Glorious Sounds (and Sights) of Christmas

This week, I had the privilege of traveling twice in three days to my new favorite city in the world, Edinburgh. Both trips were, of course, having to do with the holidays--as are most events in December.They were also both an excellent way of ignoring our upcoming (and increasing) school responsibilities, with prelims slowly but surely approaching in January.




My first journey on Sunday was one of the many weekend trips with Heyworth House to keep us occupied, but this does not mean it was any less memorable. Between helping each other make agonizing decisions over which shoes to buy for the upcoming dance and enjoying the exciting and busy atmosphere of the city, our holiday spirits were tangibly rising. The yearly German Christmas markets were in full fling, bringing with it the smell of currywurst and mulled wine as we strolled by the stations of handmade goods and treats.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

 My friends Ruby and Una were so inspired by the festivities that they went on one of the many mini rides scattered around the city center, while the rest of us sat back and laughed at the sight of their feet dangling just about over the famous Scott Monument. It was certainly a nice escape from school, not to mention an excuse to indulge in some hot chocolate and give fashion advice to each other.

Homemade German truffles? Yes please. 


Ruby and Una, after their thrilling ride and before shopping 'till they drop.

The second trip on Tuesday was something that has been on my schedule for quite some time: the Dollar Academy Usher Hall concert. Pupils have been actively preparing for this performance since just about the beginning of the year, and just this past week we have all been positively bombarded by missed school days due to the continuous rehearsals. In fact, because I am in two choirs and the senior orchestra, there were two days in the past week where I spent my whole class day in the auditorium instead of the classroom.

An organ in the Usher Hall that would surely make Mr. Gouwens jealous.

The rehearsals really did pay off, however. The concert itself was remarkable, despite all the teachers' --and students'-- frets leading up to the performance.  Every group from the prep and junior choir (children about the age of 5 to 13) to the Dollar Academy Jazz Orchestra (more commonly known as DAJO) played and sang their heart out to an audience of about 1700. The Usher Hall is an absolutely gorgeous venue; it was a great privilege to play in a building with such pristine acoustics and a rich history. I cannot accurately express the way the sound of over 400 student performers, whether singers or instrumentalists, aged 5 or 19, resonated through the air-- especially on our finale, Orff's famous Carmina Burana. I can tell you now that there is no better way, except perhaps the Christmas Markets in Edinburgh, to realize that Christmas is right around the very corner.

A warm-up before the big event. 

My friend Hamish, keeping me company in the long hours of setup before the concert.

Also, I must add that Christmas carol tunes are much different here than in the States. When I first saw familiar songs on the program such as Away in a Manger and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem, you can imagine my shock when it was a completely unfamiliar melody. It's one of those little things that catch me off guard once in a while, reminding me that I am living in a completely new world than before.

The Mixed Voice Choir and Wind Band, only about half of all the performers!

But the holidays are far from over for Dollar pupils. This weekend, I have another performance with the Chamber Choir, a House Christmas party, a pantomime show, and the Boarders' Caleigh (Scottish translation: party) to look forward to-- and that's not counting all the festive events next week. Then on Friday, I'll be on a taxi in the wee hours of the morning to catch a flight to Rome: is there possibly a better way to spend Christmas? Well, maybe at home with family. But I promise, through all of these festive events, that you all will be on my mind and in my heart.


1 comment: