Friday, November 4, 2016

Another Reflection-- and Halloween

The leaves are turning colors, the hours of light are falling, and stores are already unpacking their Christmas decorations: winter is coming. Time is seeming to fly by, and I often forget to pause and assess the progress I have made in the past months (has it really been months??) here at Dollar. Soon enough, the first trimester will be over and I will be free for break--this time to Italy--which marks the first third of my entire gap year. It's a scary and somewhat bittersweet thought; part of me wants to stay here for a longer amount of time. This is all the more reason to consider what I have accomplished so far, in which areas I have struggled, and what I have in mind for the rest of the year abroad.

Heyworth House pumpkins. Ignore the one on the top left, because it is what it looks like.

No one can deny that I've had my fair share of bravery thus far on my journey. After all, jumping fully into an Advanced Higher Geography class is no easy task-- not to mention joining a boarding house with absolutely no familiar faces, or hopping aboard a plane to France and eating escargot. I would especially say that learning how to travel has been one of the most useful skills I have learned here, even though it was terrifying at first to buy a simple bus ticket to the nearby city of Stirling. I didn't realize how much planning it took: knowing the times of public transport, the cost, etc. I still have to console myself that it will all be okay: the train won't randomly change directions, and the bus has not left if I am 20 minutes early to the station. But it does take courage to go out on a limb, rising above the anxiety I may face. A few girls in the boarding house and I were especially brave recently, and entered into the annual "Battle of the Bands" contest taking place next week-- although we're playing the best band of the school in the first round, we love to make music together, so the crowd ultimately won't matter. All in all, I have done well in taking the chances I receive to jump out of my comfort zone as often as I can.

Some costumes were a little too realistic.


In addition to showing my bravery, I believe I have overall succeeded in proving myself both to my peers and to my adults here. In Harry Potter terms, the Ravenclaw in me has peaked a curiosity in the subjects I am taking, and provided a strong motivation to go above and beyond assigned schoolwork. In fact, I have (very thankfully) had the time to do some of my own reading lately in relation to my future college major: I just finished "Prisoners of Geography" by Tim Marshall, and am now making my way through "The J Curve" by Ian Bremmer. My book supplier and Politics/Modern Studies teacher, Mrs. Young, owns a plethora of this genre and is more than happy to loan them to me-- in exchange for only an interesting conversation about it later. On the more social side of things, I have been nominated to speak at the Remembrance Day Ceremony next week, along with a solo part in the next Chamber Choir concert. While I undoubtedly feel humbled by these opportunities, I cannot help but be glad that others are appreciating the hard work and respect I have for them.

I also discovered that apple bobbing is much harder than it looks.

Unfortunately, my experiences lately have not entirely been of sunshine and rainbows. After all, what would a foreign exchange be without some challenges to help me grow as an individual? Anyway, it is getting cold and dark here-- and fast. That certainly takes a toll on anyone's mood, and a constant reminder of the impending doom of winter. But that also means that the holidays are coming, which rebounds our spirits again. And although prelims are approaching soon and classes are supposed to be picking up the pace (academically speaking), I am finding myself with lots of free time on my hands. Each class in which I am enrolled poses little challenge to me at the moment, which can be frustrating, but I make the best of the situation by independent learning and reading, as mentioned above. But after a filled-to-the-brim senior year, a free period a day-- or even two on some days-- feels unnatural and even frustrating at times. I know that once I start my projects in Geography that I will have less time on my hands, but for now, I must settle for the simultaneous blessing and curse of free time.

The Hanging Donuts game. I sat this one out because it was just too fun to watch.

Another problem I have encountered lately is a more surprising one: homesickness. While I do feel at home in the boarding house, I must confess my persistent longing for the town I once thought I hated. There have been times where all I wanted was to share one more homemade dinner with my family around me, to be huddled up next to the fireplace in the Public Library reading The Week, or to see a concert series in Eppley Auditorium right next to the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee. This is the first time I have such a feeling: it's hard to miss home when it's within walking distance. But it's the little things-- the different placement of keys on a computer keyboard, the plugs on the walls, the different food-- that are constant reminders that I am still in a foreign country, thousands of miles away from where I spent my life until now.

Anna and Una being cute roommates.

But that's a minor issue compared to where I am now. I do love my classes, my friends, and the opportunities presented to me here. Home will always be there for me, especially when it is time for me to return. For now, I plan to continue being brave, working hard, and savoring the time I have here. My future goals are simple: keep my involvement in extracurricular activities, balance work with upcoming music obligations, and continue enjoying the company of the amazing people that surround me. And, of course, learn to enjoy free time. Everything else will work itself out.




No comments:

Post a Comment