Sunday, September 18, 2016

An Eventful Weekend

It's amazing how much can happen in two short days, isn't it? After one long week of classes and homework, I received the opportunity to visit both the East and West coast of Scotland while still having time to meet new people, try new things, and even relax a bit.



On Friday, I took a trip up to spend the night with one of my best friends from Culver, Kary Stevick. Kary and were in Linden dorm together, shared the same friend group, and were even in the same mentor-mentee group together; it was so comforting to see such a friendly (and beautiful!) face again. The University of St. Andrews, where Kary is studying International Relations, is situated in the lively town of St. Andrews right on the East sea coast. When I arrived, we spent the night catching up with each other: sharing memories, conversing with university students, exploring the school, and enjoying a drink or two.





In the morning, Kary gave me a well-guided and interesting tour of the historical and culturally rich town. Our first (and arguably most important) stop was at "Gorgeous," a cafe known for its phenomenal pastries, for breakfast. There is literally nothing nicer than a Prince of Cambridge scone (with raspberries, blueberries, and white chocolate) with a perfect white coffee on a cool Scottish morning... Anyway. Next was the famous St. Andrews Castle, its startlingly green lawn complementing the gray coast lining the background. I still marvel--after numerous castle sights now--that these areas were once the pinnacle of Scottish history, holding events that shaped the vibrant culture I have the pleasure of experiencing today. Kary and I climbed the peculiarly named "social ladder" of the castle, wandered the dark and mysterious mining tunnels, and then rested quietly for a while, appreciating the fresh sea air and the peaceful view.







The Cathedral was a remarkable sight as well, although it was mostly dismantled in the turmoil of the Reformation. Surrounded by a cemetery with graves dating back centuries ago, the site was a solemn reminder that the country was active well beyond our time. The stone carvings on various tombs were amazing to view, telling intricate stories I had never heard before. After climbing St. Rule's Tower which dates back to the 12th century) to have one last view of the city, we visited a few charming and diverse shops on the streets (including where Prince William and Kate Middleton met, and the place they broke up) before my bus back to Dollar.







Although seeing the town and the University was so good to the point I felt like I wanted to stay there forever, I was glad even to have those few days together with a much-loved friend. Next time, it will be Kary that tours my school: she'd better get ready for a hike up to Castle Campbell and a coffee at Cafe des Fleurs.




Less than 24 hours later, however, I found myself facing the opposite coast of Scotland-- the Irish Sea--with the rest of Heyworth House for a relaxing day trip to a town by the name of Largo. Our excursion began at Nardini's, the oldest Italian restaurant in Scotland, where the food was excellent and the atmosphere pleasantly laid-back. I enjoyed my smoked salmon sandwich as Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" sounded from a live piano, and afterwards treated myself to some raspberry sorbet.




Countless selfies later by the coast later, Iona, Alicia and I took our sweet time touring various shops around Largo from busy pound stores to quiet cafes attempting to avoid the chilly drizzle. After spending an embarrassingly long time in a kids' arcade gambling pennies for pieces of candy, we ended up in a bookstore examining travel literature, maps or whatever else caught our eyes. On the way back, we played numerous rounds of "chinese whispers" (more commonly known as "telephone" in the States), which was especially humorous because of the confusion with each of our accents.




And now it's time again for another week of classes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course: I'm feeling refreshed and ready to jump back into my classes again. If one short weekend can hold so many experiences, think of what a whole week of learning can do. So wish me luck, because I'll definitely be keeping busy!




1 comment:

  1. Well written as always. Thank you for taking us along on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete